What We Do | Regions We Serve
Our Work in Iran
Iran is a country in Western Asia with a population of 83 million people. It’s considered one of the cradles of civilization and one of the most influential cultures in the world. Much of Iran consists of a central desert plateau, which is surrounded on all sides by mountain ranges. Due to its geographical location, the Iranian people are subject to many natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, and droughts.
Moms Against Poverty has been serving impoverished children in various provinces in Iran since 2010. Our programs include supporting, renovating, equipping, and building schools, orphanages, and libraries. Additionally, we provide orphan care, healthcare, and disaster and humanitarian relief to children in need.
Since 2010, about 357,000 children have received food, shelter, education, and health care through our work in Iran. During this time, we’ve:
- Constructed over 78 schools, 2 medical centers, 2 libraries, 1 orphanage, and 1 cultural and vocational training center.
- Renovated and equipped 82 village schools, 30 libraries, and 30 orphanages and rehabilitation centers for special needs children.
- Provided emergency relief for thousands of children and families affected by devastating natural disasters like earthquakes and floods.
- Supported thousands of orphaned, disabled, and disadvantaged children under the care of social services in Iran.
In 2022 Alone
- Continuously supported our 3 private orphanages in Gilan and Kerman for children aged 3-10
- Established 1 Vocational Training Center in Kerman offering 4 types of courses for orphaned girls aged 13 and u
- Supported 20 orphanages for children aged 0 and up (including orphans with disabilities) with food and basic needs
Health Care & Wellness
- 3 health care centers were constructed in Markazi, Sistan and Baluchestan, and Khuzestan provinces
- 184 healthcare centers were equipped in Sistan and Baluchestan province
- 2 hospitals were provided with vital operating rooms and bedside equipment in Tehran
- 41 wheelchairs were supplied to the needy and disabled in Sistan and Baluchestan province
- 10 refrigerators for vaccine and sample preservation were supplied to the Pasteur Institute of Iran
- Continued providing treatment allowances to children in several provinces in Iran
- 16 schools were constructed or are in progress in 10 provinces
- 38 schools and vocational schools were equipped or repaired across several provinces
- 76 computers, 820 school supply packages, 213 backpacks, printers, and teaching aids books weresupplied across Iran, including 78 nomadic schools
- 34 refrigerators and freezers were supplied to schools in South Khorasan province
- 3 Empowerment Workshops were equipped and held for young girls and women in Sistan & Baluchestan and Kerman provinces
Hunger Relief & Basic Provisions
- 8,600 food packages/food vouchers were distributed to those in need, including earthquake victims, the disabled, female heads of household, daycares, and expectant women
- 20 nurseries (including care for orphans with disabilities) were provided with food and basic needs
- 957,500 breakfasts were served to 3,924 nomadic children at schools in South Khorasan province
- 18 provinces across Iran benefitted from our bread distribution program
- 186 portable water tanks were provided for schools and areas in need. Water purifiers, desalination, and a piping system were also supplied in Sistan and Baluchestan province
- 1,317 pairs of shoes were provided for students, including those in nomadic schools, in South Khorasan, Qom, and Kohgiluyeh & Boyer-Ahmad provinces
- 8,000+ children received winter coats, shoes, and accessories in 16 provinces
OFAC License for Iran
Moms Against Poverty holds an OFAC license from the U.S. Treasury for humanitarian purposes and has been operating in Iran since 2010 through our sister NGO Nikgaman Jamshid. For more information about this license please refer to the video below!