Long before the pandemic shut down in the United States, Iran was one of the epicenters of the crisis. Since February, nearly 50,000 people in Iran have died of COVID-19, and the country continues to see tens of thousands of new confirmed cases every day.
Even before the pandemic, Iran’s healthcare system was strained to breaking point as most hospitals didn’t have enough equipment to treat patients. As COVID-19 continued to stress these limited resources, your support helped MAP step in to provide critical life-support equipment to hospitals, face masks and shields for doctors and nurses, and resources to the communities most at risk from this deadly disease.
Over the course of this year, MAP has provided:
- 27 ventilators, 7 electrocardiograms, 6 radiography machines, 3 oxygen machines, 8 BiPAP machines, 33 pulse oximeters, 7 vital signs monitors, 150 oxygen tanks, and 12 pieces of equipment to 30 hospitals across Iran combatting COVID-19.
- 1,100,500 N95 respirator masks, 2,837,020 face masks, 23,386 medical gowns, 17,876 patient gowns, 12,650 face shields, 18,346 liters of sanitizers, 600 liters of rubbing alcohol, 200 boxes of gloves, and 15,000 sleeve and shoe covers to front-line doctors and nurses across Iran fighting COVID-19.
- 25,000 hygiene kits to homeless shelters and at-risk children.
Sadly, Iranians not suffering from COVID-19 are fighting another pandemic: rampant hunger and starvation caused by ongoing unemployment. MAP has expanded our hunger relief programs in Iran since no child deserves to go hungry.
- Hunger relief packages and coupons to 22,395 children and adults across Iran.
- 300,000 loaves of bread to needy families across Iran.
While COVID-19 may have changed our focus for the year, MAP continues to invest in communities throughout Iran by providing high-quality education and orphan care programs.
This year, we:
- Completed renovation and furnishing of 8 preschools.
- Built 13 new schools throughout Iran.
- Built a medical rehabilitation center, and
- Fully refurnished 5 orphanages while operating our own orphanage.
We also addressed many immediate needs faced by children around Iran, in particular by providing home appliances, blankets, clothing, and hygiene supplies to 200 families affected by floods in Sistan and Baluchestan. We also provided 2,000 children with jackets and shoes for the winter, and 101 tablets, 69 mobile phones, and 510 backpacks full of school supplies to children in schools across Iran for this academic year.
While our work in Iran so far represents a significant accomplishment, the situation in Iran continues to be grave. As among one of two non-profits in the US with a sizable relief team in Iran, we need your support to continue helping a nation that was hard hit by COVID-19 and the ongoing hunger pandemic. Please donate today.